Mold growth can be dangerous to people and destructive to property. Owner/Agent provides housing as free
from mold as reasonably possible. Behaviors of residents greatly affect the likelihood of mold
Tenant(s) agree(s) to keep the rental unit in a manner that minimizes the likelihood of mold growth.
Suggested methods to do that are listed on the reverse of this notice. Tenant(s) also agree(s) to notify
Owner/Agent promptly of any mold problems.
Tenant(s) acknowledge receiving a copy of this notice.
Mold is a fungus, a sponge-like organism, in the same family as yeast and mushrooms. Mold is everywhere.
Molds produce tiny spores that float continuously through the air, indoor and out. When mold spores land
on a damp area indoors, they can begin to grow, particularly if the moisture problem is not corrected
quickly. Molds can grow on wood, ceiling tiles, drywall, paper, carpet and foods. There is no practical
way to eliminate all mold and mold spores indoors. The most effective way to control indoor mold growth
is to control moisture. Unwanted moisture can be from a variety of issues: leaks in the roof or walls,
water seeping into the basement, taking a shower, or cooking. If mold grows in a home, it must both be
cleaned and the moisture problem repaired. Mold growth is unlikely if the humidity is below 40%.
Clean mold off hard surfaces as soon as possible. First use a detergent like Pine Sol or Lysol and hot
water. Then disinfect with a mild bleach solution (one cup of bleach to one gallon of water). (Do not
get bleach solution on carpets or floors, it can cause damage.) Finally, dry completely. Recent studies
suggest bleach isn’t enough for porous surfaces like sheet rock walls. Wash with TSP (tri-sodium
phosphate) first (available at hardware and paint stores).
When you clean up mold, consider using an N-95 respirator (available in many hardware stores) to limit
your exposure to mold and mold spores.
2019-2023 Oregon Rental Housing Association - All
PO Box 20862, Keizer, OR 97307