Mold growth can be dangerous to people and destructive to property. Owner/Agent provides housing as free from mold as reasonably possible. Behaviors of residents greatly affect the likelihood of mold growth.
Tenant(s) agree(s) to keep the rental unit in a manner that minimizes the likelihood of mold growth. Suggested methods to do that are listed on the reverse of this notice. Tenant(s) also agree(s) to notify Owner/Agent promptly of any mold problems.
Tenant(s) acknowledge receiving a copy of this notice.
Mold is a fungus, a sponge-like organism, in the same family as yeast and mushrooms. Mold is everywhere. Molds produce tiny spores that float continuously through the air, indoor and out. When mold spores land on a damp area indoors, they can begin to grow, particularly if the moisture problem is not corrected quickly. Molds can grow on wood, ceiling tiles, drywall, paper, carpet and foods. There is no practical way to eliminate all mold and mold spores indoors. The most effective way to control indoor mold growth is to control moisture. Unwanted moisture can be from a variety of issues: leaks in the roof or walls, water seeping into the basement, taking a shower, or cooking. If mold grows in a home, it must both be cleaned and the moisture problem repaired. Mold growth is unlikely if the humidity is below 40%.
Clean mold off hard surfaces as soon as possible. First use a detergent like Pine Sol or Lysol and hot water. Then disinfect with a mild bleach solution (one cup of bleach to one gallon of water). (Do not get bleach solution on carpets or floors, it can cause damage.) Finally, dry completely. Recent studies suggest bleach isn’t enough for porous surfaces like sheet rock walls. Wash with TSP (tri-sodium phosphate) first (available at hardware and paint stores).
When you clean up mold, consider using an N-95 respirator (available in many hardware stores) to limit your exposure to mold and mold spores.
© 2019 Oregon Rental Housing Association - All Rights Reserved
1462 Commercial St. NE, Salem, OR 97301
Phone: 503-364-5468 | Fax: 503-585-8119